NJC 2017 Information
The YMCA National Judicial Competition, held in Chicago, IL, is an amazing opportunity to take your Youth & Government experience to the next level. Each year 28 delegates from all grades and from across the state are chosen based on the potential they’ve shown through their MLC participation, and their written application. The delegation will spend 10 days having fun exploring Chicago, making new friends, learning public speaking and debate skills, learning how to try cases, and participating in the conference.
NJC 2017 dates have not been released, but the conference typically takes place the first week of August. Delegates must be able to attend the entire trip. The cost of the trip is $2,350. Financial assistance is available based on need and merit, and is thanks to generous donations made to our Annual Support Campaign. Application for assistance does not impact chances of selection.
Applications were due in Reggo by Thursday December 8th, 2016. All applicants should have submitted at least one reference form (linked below) from their Lead Advisor. Scholarship applications are due after the Sacramento conference.
The NJC 2017 Application can be found in Reggo. It must be complete and approved by your advisor for you to be considered for an interview. This includes:
• Contact information for your parent(s)/guardian(s).
• Best e-mail address(es) for your parent(s)/guardian(s).
• Shirt size.
• Attendance during the trip in mandatory. Late arrivals and/or early departures are not allowed. No exceptions.
• Interview at T&E II – Be prepared to undergo an interview at T&E II. Anyone not interviewed at T&E II will be interviewed at the beginning of the Sacramento conference as needed.
• Up to 28 delegates will be selected to go to NJC, along with up to 5 alternates.
If You Are Selected
• All selected applicants must undertake a course of study (we’ll give it to you and you can do it at home) before our NJC training(s). You will be required to complete an online exam to demonstrate your knowledge of the information contained therein. Please understand that this requirement is for your benefit. The NJC program is competitive on a national level, and our training time is limited, so we ask that you study your materials and come to training ready to go.
• To embark on this journey, you will need to travel by airplane to Chicago. Delegates will leave from their respective airports and meet up with our NJC Advisors at the Chicago airport.
• The NJC program costs $2350 per person. While there is scholarship money available, be prepared to fund raise to help offset the registration fee.
• To communicate with each other, we use a Facebook group and Google Hangouts. As such, all participants must have Facebook/Gmail and must check them regularly.
Success in NJC
To be successful at NJC, you will need to be hardworking, a team player, willing to have a good time, and be committed. While NJC is a national competition, we are there representing the California YMCA’s Youth and Government program, an experiential program that values learning and honors the values of the YMCA. You will get out of the program as much as you put in but others will be counting on you as well.
Successful participation in NJC requires independent work with advisors periodically checking in on your progress at key points. Participants must be committed to doing their work with the schedule that will be provided. Failure to do so will not only negatively impact your experience, but the experience of your team.
We wish you the best of luck!
No information for the upcoming program year yet….
The Y&G gnomes are working on it….
Check back for new information soon!
Marketing & Promotional Material
This piece is a four page booklet that is filled with information about Y&G’s various programs. It also has room on the last page for delegation’s to put their contact information.
Bulletins will be emailed directly to all delegates selected to attend NJC.
Questions? Email NJC@calymca.org.