California YMCA Youth & Government is approaching its 69th year serving youth from across the state. We are proud of our history and excited about our future. Here are the facts.
About the Program
Mission: Build values-based leadership and civic engagement in California’s youth
Service Area: State of California
Participating YMCA’s: 98
Employed Staff: 8
Volunteer Program Staff: 190
Volunteer Delegation Staff: 475
- California YMCA Youth & Government is in its 69th program year.
- In the past 15 years alone, Y&G has served close to 45,000 youth.
- Over 3,500 high school students participate in the Model Legislature & Court program.
- Over 800 middle school students participate in the Model United Nations program.
- 300 high school students participate in the Spring Conference.
- 250 volunteers and YMCA staff attend the Advisor Development conference.
- 25 youth attend the Conference on National Affairs (CONA).
- 30 youth attend the National Judicial Conference (NJC).
- California YMCA Youth & Government was honored by the White House in 2013 as a CHAMPION OF CHANGE because of the program’s successful work in youth development.
- Last year, participants in the state of California received scholarships totaling over $130,000.
- 88% of Youth & Government alumni over the age of 25 have received a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Youth & Government Alumni are 30% more likely to vote.